Monday, February 14, 2011
A Sweet Valentine's Craft
Here's how to make them:
1. Take brown (or brown and white) modeling clay (we used Crayola--it's nontoxic and air dries) and shape into a truffle/bonbon/candy shape of your choice. You can then embellish with "icing" stripes in white, or little red cherries (see above).
2. Put "candy" in a mini cupcake wrapper.
3. Take some kind of wire (in the store, they used pipe cleaners... I used cloth wrapped florist wire), and fashion into a loop that will hold a photo. There are different ways of doing this. What worked best for me was putting the wire into a skinny u-shape, and then starting at the bottom of the u, twist the wire around a pair of needle-nosed pliers until I had several loops. Then I'd clip off the bottom a little with wire cutters so the wire would be more stable when I stuck it in the "candy".
4. Stick the wire in the "candy". You might have to mush the candy part down a little so that it is stable and will stand up by itself.
5. Insert a photo of your choice inside the loops. Give it to someone you love. :-)
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!