The first thing we had to do was render a big chunk of (completely unappetizing) suet into liquid.
I gave up rendering the whole chunk, and used what I considered to be "enough" liquified suet when it was about 1/2 inch deep in the bottom of my pan. Then I scraped out the remaining peanut butter in the peanut butter jar (about 1/4-1/3 C), melted it in the microwave (about a minutes) and added that to the liquified suet.
I added about half a small bag of birdseed to the suet/peanut butter mixture.
I didn't have any cornmeal or bread crumbs on hand, but I did have crushed up cornflake crumbs, and I figured it was the same basic idea. I added a cup or so of cornflake crumbs to the mixture, and then Kira and I called in our assistants.
We took metal cookie cutters and filled them with the birdseed mixture. Then we stuck pretzel rods through the centers of them to make holes for hanging the birdseed cakes (because the boys were snacking on the pretzels at the time and we figured they'd work as well as anything else).
|The finished product|
Hopefully the birds will discover them before the squirrels do.